In the picture above I plated the soup and scallops with a garlic crouton and some parsley oil. To make a garlic crouton, crush some garlic in a cup, add some butter and melt it in the microwave. Apply the butter to some sliced pieces of bread and bake until crunchy.
|Keep the scallop ingredients close together so you can oversee |
the entire pan searing process. This inhibits overcooking them.
Cream of Broccoli Soup with Scallops:
Extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
2 to 3 heads broccoli, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 1/2 cups water or reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
Scallops, dried with paper towels, leg removed
Fresh ground pepper
1. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Sprinkle that with a little of the salt and stir. Cover the pot and let this sweat five to ten minutes.
2. Add potatoes, broccoli and 2 1/2 cups of hot water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer the potatoes until they're tender, about 8 to 12 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat and let it cool slightly. In four separate batches, blend the soup until it is smooth.
4. Return the soup to the pot over low heat. Add the cream, and then season with pepper. Keep this over low heat while you prepare the scallops. Make sure it is warm and increase the heat if needed; stir occasionally as well.
5. Heat a large skillet over high heat. (The larger the better.) Add about 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix in the pan as it heats. Wait until the oil is almost smoking, then add the scallops one at a time, trying to maximize the space between each one. Do not touch them until you see dark brown caramelization around the outside.
6. Flip each scallop over, add the butter and the remove the skillet from the heat. While the scallops cook on this side baste them with the melted butter sauce until cooked to your desired doneness.
7. Ladle the warm soup into bowls, add the scallops caramelized side up and finish with pepper.