Monday, December 5, 2011
CTC: Chocolate Tofu Cake
Chocolate tofu cake is a healthy, vegan, cheap and different. Don't tell people there is tofu in it and see if they can guess the special ingredient. I bet they'd never guess it is just made from a box with some tofu blended in. I topped mine with some crème fraîche frosting, but any of your favorite frosting's should work, homemade or not.
I have to note one thing before you proceed. This should only be made with a food processor or immersion/stick blender. It is too thick to blend so do not try this is a blender. The batter is too thick to be mixed efficiently in anything other than a processor or immersion blender.
Chocolate Tofu Cake:
3/4 pound soft tofu or extra soft tofu
1 box super moist cake mix
1/4 cup water (to keep it vegan), or milk
1. Preheat your oven to the temperature described on the cake mix box.
2. Process or blend the tofu with a food processor or an immersion blender.
3. Add the cake mix to a greased cake pan.
4. Bake the cake according to the directions on the box. About 3/4 of the way through the bake time, test the cake with a toothpick. Insert it into the middle and remove. If it comes out clean, remove the cake and let it cool. If it doesn't, cook it the rest of the time, until the toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool to room temperature and frost with your favorite frosting.