The most important part to making this the right way is buying a mid range Gorgonzola cheese. It would be wasteful to use a high quality cheese to make this butter since you're basically diluting the cheese in butter. It would also be pointless in using low quality cheese. Low quality Gorgonzola tends to be rather bland in both taste and mouth feel; basically not worth buying at all.
A few applications for the butter are as follows:
- Spread on toasted bread and serve with a green salad.
- Add to pasta dishes with mushrooms or root vegetables. You want the moldy cheese taste to mix with earthy flavors.
- Top steaks or burgers with it. (See picture above.)
- Go really overboard and spread this on toasted sandwich bread with roast beef and onions.
3/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese
6 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1. Finely crumble the Gorgonzola into a food processor.
2. Slice the butter into small pads and add to the processor. Pulse in the processor until well mixed and uniform in texture and color.